10 ways to get the most out of working with your bookkeeper.
1. Be sure that your bookkeeper is experienced in full service payroll. You don’t want the costly fines and interest associated with late payment of taxes or failure to file the proper reports in a timely fashion.
2. Even the best bookkeeper needs your help. Tell him or her of any business transactions which take place outside of your bank account, and respond to his or her questions in a timely manner.
3. Don’t wait until it’s time to file taxes! Hiring a good bookkeeper before the start of a fiscal year makes filing taxes much quicker and a lot less expensive.
4. Be sure that you are using the right financial software. Did you know that Being Accountable Bookkeeping Service uses both MYOB and Xero software depending on the needs of our client? Make sure you get professional advice on which financial software package is right for your business – you don’t want to buy something you don’t need.
5. Having an inexperienced bookkeeper handling your books is like having an unlicensed driver chauffeur you around – you might save a few bucks but you might ending up having your books completely wrecked.
6. Always be aware of what your numbers are – get constant financial reports and be sure to go over them with a competent expert.
7. Make sure you know exactly what your bookkeeper will be providing; and not providing.
8. Many small businesses don’t need someone in house to do their books; they can get the same service for a fraction of the cost by outsourcing their bookkeeping.
9. The better you treat your bookkeeper the harder they will want to go the extra mile for you.
10. We’ve seen successful businesses lose tons of money because their books were not where they should have been. Don’t throw out all of your hard work because of bad bookkeeping.